Recipe by Zurie
Tired of cheese sauce? Try this quick sauce for a change. MAY 2008: EDITED to add the small amount of sugar the reviewers suggested -- thank you both! This recipe only makes a small amount of sauce, for a small to medium head of broccoli (I usually break mine into florets), so double the recipe for more sauce.
Top Review by zeldaz51
Good, simple, fast, light, and different. Quick to make, as well. I often just use plain lemon juice on vegetables instead of salt, but this is a couple steps up from that. We had no coarse mustard, just Dijon, but that works fine, too. Use the sugar, it won't be sweet, but balances the acidity nicely.I bet it would be great on asparagus, green beans, brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, almost any veg.
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Whip with a whisk while bringing it all to a simmer.
- Butter might separate but it won't any difference to the taste.
- Toss the hot broccoli or cauliflower florets with the sauce.
- (You might like to adjust the seasoning to your taste, or decrease or increase the lemon juice).