Tired of cheese sauce? Try this quick sauce for a change. MAY 2008: EDITED to add the small amount of sugar the reviewers suggested -- thank you both! This recipe only makes a small amount of sauce, for a small to medium head of broccoli (I usually break mine into florets), so double the recipe for more sauce.
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Whip with a whisk while bringing it all to a simmer.
- Butter might separate but it won't any difference to the taste.
- Toss the hot broccoli or cauliflower florets with the sauce.
- (You might like to adjust the seasoning to your taste, or decrease or increase the lemon juice).