Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a medium-size, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Mix well and then gradually stir in the water.
- Cook the mixture over low heat until bubbly and thick, stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks until frothy.
- Then, stirring constantly, add a few tablespoons of the hot sugar mixture to the yolks.
- Stirring constantly, pour the egg mixture into the hot sugar mixture and continue to cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the butter and lemon rind and juice.
- Stir until well blended.
- Serve the sauce hot or cold.
- Keeps in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
I made this to serve over gingerbread. The sauce was super easy to make and tasted delicious over my warm gingerbread.
I made this recipe to pour over chicken that I had browned and cooked and the last few minutes of cooking, I poured the sauce over the chicken. Soooo goood!
I made this lemon sauce to serve with Angel Food Cake. Very good, not too tart. Actually quite sweet. Will make again