Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I've been making this sauce since 1987 and was originally out of a magazine. We serve it over crumbed chicken or crumbed fish. We love it. Also been known to use minced chilli and ginger from the jar.
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chicken stock powder
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 -2 red chile (we use small birds eyes)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- 1 teaspoon hot chili sauce (we use Fountains) (optional)
- Finely slice chilies.
- Put dried ingredients in a pot and mix together well, add honey, chillies and sauce if using and then slowly add water (or fresh stock) and mix well together.
- Put on stove over a medium heat and stir continuously until thick.
Perfect lemon sauce. Loved the sweetness of the honey and brown sugar mixed with the hint of heat from the chilies. Served this over some breaded fish for a wonderful meal. Might add some cappers next time just for a change. Thanks so much for sharing. :)
The three of us loved this for tonights dinner served over fresh fish. Tangy, yet sweet, and yet so delcious! I did add a little parsley, as I already had some chopped (on hand)..... ohhh and substituted arrowroot for cornflour, everything else was as per recipe. And it was so wonderful! I think this would be perfect over chicken! Very quick and so very easy! Thanks Pat, will be making this one again!
Sorry, they won't let me give you 10 stars!!!!!! This sauce is incredible! Love the sweet spicy combination. Followed your directions except needed more thickening, so used a little corn starch and water to finish it off. Instead of red chilis used about 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Served over baked salmon on a bed or rice. Next time plan to garnish with slivered almonds. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!