Haven't tried these yet, but posting here for safe-keeping. I clipped it out of the newspaper --says recipe is originally from the May 2007 Issue of Everyday Food Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour, plus more for rolling
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- 1To make cookies, preheat oven to 350°F
- 2In a large bowl using an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter, icing sugar, lemon zest, and salt until combined.
- 3With mixer on low, add flour (dough will be stiff); finish mixing with a wooden spoon.
- 4Turn dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap; pat into a disk about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick.
- 5Wrap and chill until firm, about 1 hour (and up to 3 days).
- 6Unwrap dough; place on a lightly floured piece of parchment or waxed paper.
- 7With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough about 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick. (If dough cracks, let it warm up slightly).
- 8Cut out cookies with a 1 1/2 inch (4 cm) round cutter.
- 9(Re-roll scraps once, chilling if too soft).
- 10Place 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on two baking sheets; sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- 11Bake until barely beginning to brown, 15-20 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- 12For the filling, in a small bowl, mix cream cheese and zest until smooth.
- 13Gradually add 1 cup of icing sugar, mixing until smooth.
- 14Mix in remaining sugar as necessary to create a firm but spreadable filling.
- 15To form the sandwiches, place about 1 teaspoon filling between two cookies, sugared sides facing out; squeeze gently.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Sandwich Cookies (W/ Lemon Cream Cheese Filling)
Serving Size: 1 (24 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.2
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 42.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 1.0 g