Leslie in Texas's Note:
This crisp and buttery cookie is topped with a lemon glaze and is delicious with a mixed fruit salad, melon, or with my Sour Lemon Sorbet. Originally from an April 1884 issue of Bon Appetit magazine that featured light and refreshing lemon desserts. Start these the morning you plan to serve them; refrigeration time is not included in prep time.
My Private Note
dozen c ...
Units: US | Metric
Cookie Dough (Pate Sablee)
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, finely grated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups pastry flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons pastry flour (or all purpose)
- 1For Cookie Dough.
- 2Mix almond meal and powdered sugar in processor to fine powder, about 10 seconds.
- 3Transfer to bowl of electric mixer.
- 4Add butter and beat until light.
- 5Blend in egg, lemon peel and salt.
- 6Beat in flour all at once until just combined; do not overmix.
- 7Gather dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- 8Divide dough in half;wrap half in plastic and return to refrigerator to prevent drying.
- 9Roll remainder out on generously floured surface to thickness of 3/16 of an inch.(Keep surface and rolling pin well floured to prevent sticking.).
- 10Cut out rounds using floured 2-inch scalloped cutter.
- 11Gather scraps and reroll additional rounds.
- 12Set on baking sheets and refrigerate 30 minutes;repeat with other half of dough.
- 13For Glaze:blend powdered sugar, egg yolk and lemon juice in small bowl.
- 14Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 15Lightly brush top of each round with glaze.
- 16Score design atop each round with fork tines.
- 17Bake until lightly browned around edges, about 15 minutes.
- 18Cool completely on rack.
- 19Store in airtight container.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Sables
Serving Size: 1 (622 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.5
- Calories from Fat 382
- Total Fat 42.4 g
- Saturated Fat 21.5 g
- Cholesterol 184.0 mg
- Sodium 64.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 24.7 g
- Protein 10.4 g