Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This crisp and buttery cookie is topped with a lemon glaze and is delicious with a mixed fruit salad, melon, or with my Sour Lemon Sorbet. Originally from an April 1884 issue of Bon Appetit magazine that featured light and refreshing lemon desserts. Start these the morning you plan to serve them; refrigeration time is not included in prep time.
Cookie Dough (Pate Sablee)
- 2⁄3 cup almond meal
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, finely grated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups pastry flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons pastry flour (or all purpose)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- For Cookie Dough.
- Mix almond meal and powdered sugar in processor to fine powder, about 10 seconds.
- Transfer to bowl of electric mixer.
- Add butter and beat until light.
- Blend in egg, lemon peel and salt.
- Beat in flour all at once until just combined; do not overmix.
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Divide dough in half;wrap half in plastic and return to refrigerator to prevent drying.
- Roll remainder out on generously floured surface to thickness of 3/16 of an inch.(Keep surface and rolling pin well floured to prevent sticking.).
- Cut out rounds using floured 2-inch scalloped cutter.
- Gather scraps and reroll additional rounds.
- Set on baking sheets and refrigerate 30 minutes;repeat with other half of dough.
- For Glaze:blend powdered sugar, egg yolk and lemon juice in small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly brush top of each round with glaze.
- Score design atop each round with fork tines.
- Bake until lightly browned around edges, about 15 minutes.
- Cool completely on rack.
- Store in airtight container.