Recipe by Terese
A beautifully fragrant roast chicken served on a bed of pistachio pilaf.
Top Review by Gay Gilmore
Served this at a luncheon with friends and it was SO delicious. In fact, I think the pilaf might have been a bigger hit than the chicken and will certainly be a side dish we make often now. Somehow I failed to pick up long grain rice, so I used a calrose rice, which I worried would be too sticky, but the sweet sticky rice actually worked pretty well too...so well, everyone asked for the recipe. ;-)
- 1 free-range chicken (approx 1.8kg)
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 sprig fresh rosemary (or 1/2tsp dried)
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 2 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 -3 tablespoons pistachio nuts, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons currants
Directions See How It's Made
- Chicken: Mix lemon juice and oil, salt and pepper.
- Rub mixture over chicken and in cavity.
- Put squeezed out lemon halves in chicken cavity and sprigs of rosemary (or dried).
- Roast breast side down in oven at 200oC until almost cooked.
- Turn over and allow to finish breast side up.
- Let chicken rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
- Pilaf: Wash rice and drain.
- In a frying pan over low/medium heat cook the onion in oil and butter for five minutes.
- Add the rice, stirring with a metal spoon and allow to brown a little.
- Turn down the heat and add hot stock, cloves and cinnamon.
- Stir in well, cover and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- When rice is cooked add chopped pistachios and whole currents.
- Serve chicken on rice with lemony pan juices from the chicken.