1/3 Photos of Lemon Roast Chicken and Potatoes
2 hrs 15 mins
This is roast chicken and potatoes at it’s most wonderful! The flavours of lemon and garlic bring out the very best of the flavour of the chicken without overpowering it. Simple really is best sometimes….
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 large potatoes (leave the skins on, the flavour is fabulous)
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 2 lemons, juice of (save the squeezed lemon halves)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (I used thyme) or 1 tablespoon dried thyme, crumbled (I used thyme)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens, about 3 pounds
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 garlic cloves, with skins left on
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F.
- 2Halve the potatoes lengthwise and then cut them into three or four wedges, so that they look like chips. I used Charlotte fingerling potatoes and they were perfect, cut into quarters.
- 3Throw these into a shallow roaster along with the onion wedges and the chicken.
- 4Mix together the mustard, lemon juice, oregano (or thyme) and olive oil to make a marinade.
- 5Pour over the chicken, potatoes and onions. Add the bay leaves and garlic.
- 6Season with salt and pepper (remembering the inside of the chicken as well as the outside)
- 7Rub the marinade in all over the surface of the chicken and shuffling the potatoes and onions around so that they are well coated.
- 8Put the reserved lemon halves inside the chicken.
- 9Gently pour a cup of warm water into the pan, being careful not to wash any of the marinade off of the chicken or potatoes.
- 10Roast for one hour. At this point the chicken should be starting to brown.
- 11Pour the wine over the top and turn the potatoes and onions.
- 12Roast for another hour, turning the chicken when it is well browned on top. Check that the potatoes are still in a little liquid, you don’t want them to go dry. If they seem a bit dry add a little more hot water.
- 13When it is done the chicken will be golden brown and juicy and cooked through and the potatoes will be meltingly tender, with a few crisp edges. There should be a little sauce left in the roaster to serve spooned over the chicken and potatoes, but if there isn’t just add a bit of hot water to the dish and scrape up the tasty bits from the bottom to make more sauce.
- 14Serve to a very lucky family that will be scrambling for more! If this doesn’t soon become your favourite way to roast chicken I’ll be a monkey’s uncle!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Roast Chicken and Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (723 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 943.3
- Calories from Fat 442
- Total Fat 49.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 160.4 mg
- Sodium 261.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 46.5 g