Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A simple and delicious light Italian meal, perfect for the summertime! Round out the meal with a garden salad, if you like, and enjoy the risotto with some freshly baked Italian bread real butter and good cheese (such as Port de Salut). Buon appetito! Follow with a nice glass of Limoncello for a lovely after-dinner digestif. Note: This is a one-dish meal if you use cooked shrimp. Makes 4 servings. Adapted from "This Italian Life".
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked arborio rice (or other short-grain white rice)
- 4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons vegetable stock base (or instant bouillon granules)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion, and lemon zest and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute. Now stir in the water, white wine, lemon juice, bouillon and black pepper. Cover, and cook gently over low heat for 30-35 minutes, or until rice is done.
- Off the heat and stir in the cheese; set aside and keep warm.
- Melt remaining butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook 3-4 minutes or until pink. Do not overcook.
- Serve shrimp over risotto, sprinkled with Gremolata.
- For Gremolata:.
- Combine 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic, 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel in a small bowl.