Recipe by Catherine Robson
I love this recipe. Best of all I don't have to battle with the kids to get them to eat their dinner...they love it too.
Top Review by loof
Delicious risotto! Very filling with great flavor and texture. I like the combination of mushrooms and bacon and they went well with this dish. Thanks for sharing this tasty recipe! Made for Spring PAC 2009
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 onion, chopped
- 250 g lean rindless bacon, roughly chopped (leave a little fat on)
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 4 cups chicken stock (I use tinned Chicken Consomme Soup)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small pot combine lemon juice and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Keep covered with a lid so it does not evaporate all away.
- Lightly spray olive oil in another large heavy based pot.
- Add the onion and bacon and cook over a medium heat until onion is softened.
- Add arborio rice and cook over medium heat until rice warms for about 5 minutes (don't allow to brown).
- Add 1 cup of the hot lemon stock to the rice, stirring well with a wooden spoon.
- Once the stock has absorbed, add the mushrooms and another cup of hot stock.
- Stir well and wait until the stock has been absorbed before adding another cup of the hot stock.
- Repeat the above step until all the stock has been absorbed (adjust consistency with more/less water or stock if required).
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
- Cover with lid and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.