Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful sounding recipe compliments of my hostess at Parliament Cottage Bed and Breakfast in Niagara-on-the-Lake in Canada. I'm looking forward to trying these!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons lemons, zest of
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together cheese, eggs, milk, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients (don't overmix).
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Drop batter 2 tbs at a time onto the skillet.
- Cook approximately 1 minute per side.
- Rhubarb Sauce: Place rhubarb, brown sugar and water in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat an simmer 10 minutes.
Great Sunday morning brunch item. Loved the rhubarb sauce with it. Thanks for posting!
The pancakes tasted really good. The only thing I would recommend or change is to put a little bit of syrup on the rhubarb sauce at the table because it was a bit too tart for my family's taste. Also use only regular maple syrup if you want to enjoy the lemon flavor of the pancakes. Berry jam also tastes good on them.
Light, fluffy pancakes even with gf mix in place of flour! I had only 1 egg, so thirded the recipe and came out with 6 4" cakes. I was a little shy on the lemon juice, afraid it might overpower, but it didn't at all. Makes almost buttermilk of the ricotta, then adds a dainty flavor. Served with just a little plain yogurt and syrup or lingonberries. Light but filling- my mother got away (amazing restraint there) with eating just two. Thanks!