Recipe by little_wing
Need a special breakfast? This will do you. Bit of effort involved, but isn't that what makes it special?
- 3 navel oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, 3-inch piece
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil, for griddle
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove peel from 1 orange with vegetable peeler and reserve.
- Cut off peel and white pith from remaining oranges.
- Cut orange sections from membranes and place in small bowl.
- Squeeze all juice from membranes and add water or additional orange juice if needed to equal 1/2 cup.
- Pour juice into saucepan.
- Add reserved orange peel, sugar and cinnamon stick and simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to med-low and simmer 10 minutes, swirling pan occasionally until mixture becomes syrupy.
- Pour through sieve over reserved orange sections.
- Stir in maple syrup and let stand while making pancakes.
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- In food processor, process ricotta, egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla until smooth.
- Add milk and dry ingredients and process until blended.
- Pour batter into bowl.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Lightly oil griddle and heat over medium.
- Drop batter by 1/4 cup cupfuls and cook 2 minutes, or until lightly browned, per side .
- Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining batches.
- Serve with syrup.