1/1 Photo of Lemon Rice with Dals
1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is a lot more simpler to make than first meets the eye. If you prefer a richer variation, then you can add some cubes of butter directly to the rice after it's cooked, for a more flavorsome taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1/4 cup masoor dal
- 1/4 cup channa dal
- 1 medium onion
- 2 lemons
- 25 g butter
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 -3 cloves
- 3 -4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 curry leaves
- 5 -6 cashew nuts (chopped)
- coriander sprig
- dried parsley
- fresh lemon rind
- 1Soak masoor and chana dals for a few hours prior to cooking.
- 2Boil rice with about 4-5 cups water and salt until grains are soft and firm.
- 3Just before draining the rice, add the turmeric powder.
- 4Stir to ensure that the color spreads evenly over the rice.
- 5Remove from heat and drain.
- 6In another pot, add the masoor and chana dals; cover with water and boil until the dals soften.
- 7In a separate small saucepan, add butter on low heat until it melts.
- 8Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, bayleaves, cloves, cinammon, curry leaves and cashew nuts.
- 9When the seeds begin to splutter, add the onion and allow to heat till onion becomes translucent.
- 10Then add the boiled/softened masoor and chana dals along with the turmeric powder.
- 11At this point you can peel the lemons and add the lemon rind to the rest of the ingredients.
- 12Stir this mixture thoroughly to ensure a nice distribution of the butter flavor.
- 13Transfer this mix to the already cooked rice and toss or stir well.
- 14Squeeze two fresh lemons to obtain about half a cup of juice, add a tsp of salt to it, and then pour the liquid on the rice concoction, making sure to toss it thoroughly.
- 15Garnish by drizzling with dry parsley, coriander and a whole cashew.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Rice with Dals
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.4
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 13.3 mg
- Sodium 49.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: