Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Greek Lemon Rice Soup/avgolemono using a traditional Thanksgiving ingredient leftover: (turkey).
- 946.36 ml turkey broth (or low-sodium chicken broth)
- 59.14 ml rice
- 3 eggs
- 3 lemons
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 236.59 ml diced turkey
- 4.92 ml dried herbs (thyme, dill, oregano or parsley) or 14.79 ml fresh herb, plus additional for garnish (I used this Greek Seasoning Blend)
- 78.07 ml crumbled feta
- Italian parsley, for garnish
- Heat broth and rice to a boil. Add dried herbs.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Whisk eggs with the juice of two lemons. *Slowly* whisk about 1 1/2 cups of the hot broth into the eggs.
- Whisk the eggs, lemon and broth mixture into the broth and heat gently.
- Check for seasonings. Add more lemon juice, if needed, for a good tang.
- Add the turkey and fresh herbs if you haven’t used dry. Serve garnished with crumbled feta and sprinkled herbs.