Recipe by COOKGIRl
Greek Lemon Rice Soup/avgolemono using a traditional Thanksgiving ingredient leftover: (turkey).
- 4 cups turkey broth (or low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1⁄4 cup rice
- 3 eggs
- 3 lemons
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup diced turkey
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (thyme, dill, oregano or parsley) or 1 tablespoon fresh herb, plus additional for garnish (I used this Greek Seasoning Blend)
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled feta
- Italian parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat broth and rice to a boil. Add dried herbs.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Whisk eggs with the juice of two lemons. *Slowly* whisk about 1 1/2 cups of the hot broth into the eggs.
- Whisk the eggs, lemon and broth mixture into the broth and heat gently.
- Check for seasonings. Add more lemon juice, if needed, for a good tang.
- Add the turkey and fresh herbs if you haven’t used dry. Serve garnished with crumbled feta and sprinkled herbs.