Recipe by Juenessa
From Taste of Home Magazine, February/March 2006. This was one of the runner-up recipe winners in this issue, contributed by Margery Richmond of Alberta.
Top Review by Chrissyo
This is a good rice salad. I especially liked the lemon zest in the dressing. The toasted pecans added a good contrast to the rice and so did the cucumber. I would recommend that you do deseed the cucumber s Juenessa states. I will be using the recipe throughout summer. Thank you for posting.
- 1 cup vegetable oil or 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups diced seeded cucumbers
- 2⁄3 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine the first seven ingredients; shake well.
- In a lare bowl, combine long grain and wild rice; add dressing and toss.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Add the cucumbers, green onions, parsley, basil and pepper; mix well.
- Chill for 2 hours.
- Fold in toasted pecans just before serving.
- **Cook time does not include overnight refrigeration or 2 hours chill time before serving.
- ***For cook time I am estimating the rice cooking time of approximately 30 minutes. Depending on how you cook your rice whether steaming it or cooking it on the stove-top--adjust cooking time accordingly. I am also estimating toasting the pecans in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes on a lightly greased cooking sheet. Watch them as they can easily burn!