Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have had this recipe for a long time now, so, I dont know where it comes from. But, I can describe it as unbelievably easy and unbelievably easy. I use dessicated coconut because that's what I have on hand usually. Also, you could omit the curry leaves and asafoetida if you are unable to find them or have them on hand. It will impact the taste, but the rice still would taste good.
- 2 cups cooled cooked rice (using basmati rice would definitely be a plus)
- 2 green chilies
- 1 stalk curry leaf
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh coconut
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Urad Dal (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 -3 pinches asafetida powder
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Heat oil, add seeds, and dal. Allow to splutter.
- Add green chillies, curry leaves, onions, asafoetida
- Cook till onions are light pink.
- Add rice, turmeric, salt, lemon, coriander, coconut.
- Stir gently till well mixed.
- Cover and simmer till steaming hot.
- Serve hot.
This is one of our favourite rice dishes. I had this a few days back and enjoy it so much :)