I have had this recipe for a long time now, so, I dont know where it comes from. But, I can describe it as unbelievably easy and unbelievably easy. I use dessicated coconut because that's what I have on hand usually. Also, you could omit the curry leaves and asafoetida if you are unable to find them or have them on hand. It will impact the taste, but the rice still would taste good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cooled cooked rice (using basmati rice would definitely be a plus)
- 2 green chilies
- 1 stalk curry leaf
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh coconut
- 1/2 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Urad Dal (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 -3 pinches asafetida powder
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1Heat oil, add seeds, and dal. Allow to splutter.
- 2Add green chillies, curry leaves, onions, asafoetida
- 3Cook till onions are light pink.
- 4Add rice, turmeric, salt, lemon, coriander, coconut.
- 5Stir gently till well mixed.
- 6Cover and simmer till steaming hot.
- 7Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Rice ( a Dish from Southern India )
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.0
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: