Recipe by robert.roselina
This dish is ideal for the summer. Keep in mind the fact that the lemon juice has to be added judiciously to suit your palate so that you do not end up with a "khatta" or bland rice. I enjoy this dish with rasam or just a bowl of salad. The lemon in the rice aids in the absorption of iron in your body due to its high vitamin C content. If you have eaten a heavy breakfast, then this is a perfect dish for a light lunch.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- 2 whole red chilies, broken into pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Urad Dal (split black lentils)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon roasted channa dal (daria)
- 4 -5 curry leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- cook rice with water. Prepare fort helitthal or seasoning. For seasoning, take two spoons of oil in a pan, heat it and put the mustard seeds in the oil. When the mustard seeds start popping and crackling add the red chillies. Then add the bengal gram (split) and black gram (split). Add a pinch of asafoetida (hing). Finally add the curry leaves. Add the cooked rice, salt and turmeric powder and mix well. Remove from fire and add the lemon juice. Mix well. You can also decorate the dish with roasted cashew nuts, chopped coriander and curry leaves.