Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Gooseberry Patch Backyard Gatherings.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 3⁄4 cups long-grain rice, uncooked
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir/saute onion and mushrooms until tender.
- Add in rice; saute for 1 minute.
- Pour in hot water, lemon rind, and oregano.
- Put the lid on the skillet and simmer for 10-20 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat; add lemon juice and fluff before serving; taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
The mushrooms in this rice are a great addition. But we would have like more in the rice. So next time I may use the 8 ounces package. I used 1/2 tsp of dried oregano cause I didn't have fresh. The lemon taste is great. But still it needed something more, maybe garlic.