Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tastes like a Greek style rice dish, that great lemony flavor. Cooking the rice in the butter first, adds so much more flavor.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons orzo pasta
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup zucchini, finely chopped
- In heavy saucepan, melt butter and saute onion until transparent.
- Add rice and orzo. Cook 2 minutes, stirring often, until golden brown.
- Add liquids, stir, cover and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.
I quite liked this dish! It was easy to prepare and a nice change from plain ole rice. DS thought that it was a little too lemony (I made this with fresh lemon juice), but he's the picky eater in the family. DD had a friend over for supper and this child went back for a big helping of seconds. I left out the zucchini because I didn't have any but made the recipe exactly as directed, otherwise. I doubled the amounts and found that the leftovers made a really great fried rice a couple of days later. Thank you for sharing!
This recipe is now a staple that I serve with fish, especially rosemary grilled salmon fillets. I wanted a more lemony taste so I usually add some dried lemon zest. I also use 1/2 Tbsp of dried parsley when I don't have fresh. Fresh is better.