Prep 2 mins
Cook 15 mins
A spicy lemony soup from South India. Drink it plain, or pour over rice. Also good combined with yogurt. You can substitute 2 lemons or 2 limes instead of one of each. Prep time listed assumes you have some pre-cooked dal handy in the freezer or fridge.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small green chili pepper, cut lengthwise
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup cooked dal, toor preferred
- 1 teaspoon sambhar powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 curry leaves
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil or 2 teaspoons ghee
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves (optional)
- Bring to a boil the water, tomato, salt, asafoetida, and chili.
- Add the dal and simmer until everything is soft.
- Add the rasam powder and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a small pan heat the oil. Add mustard seeds and heat on high until they pop.
- Add cooked mustard seeds and curry leaves to the soup.
- Garnish with corriander leaves if desired.