Prep 8 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Perfect summertime dessert. Plan ahead this needs to be frozen for 8 or more hours, best if made a day ahead. Crushed graham cracker crumbs may be used in place of the vanilla wafers. If you love lemons, then you will love this frozen dessert! Prep time includes freezing time.
- 5 eggs (separate 3, and reserve whites)
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream, unwhipped
- 2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (or enough to cover bottom and sides of baking pan)
- 1⁄3 cup margarine (use only enough to hold the vanilla crumbs together) or 1⁄3 cup butter, melted (use only enough to hold the vanilla crumbs together)
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar (can use more for a sweeter taste)
- Prepare a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a double boiler, mix/cook 2 eggs and three egg yolks, lemon juice and sugar until thick, stirring constantly; cool.
- Whip the cream, and fold into cooled lemon mixture.
- Mix together the vanilla wafers and melted margarine or butter (use just enough butter to hold the wafers together, you might use less or more than 1/3 cup).
- Line the bottom and sides of the springform pan with vanilla wafers.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the pan.
- In a bowl beat 3 egg whites until foamy, add in cream of tartar and icing sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread on the top of the lemon mixture.
- Set oven to broil.
- Brown the meringue under the broiler until brown (watch closely not to burn, and make certain that the egg white topping does not touch the top of the meringue).
- Cover with foil and freeze for 8 or more hours.
- Remove from freezer (taking foil off immediately!) at least 1 hour before serving.
- **NOTE** if using a graham cracker crust mix 2 cups graham cracker crumbs with 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine and about 1/3 cup sugar.