Recipe by Marie
A light dessert that is transformed in the oven, creating a creamy lemon pudding covered with a light sponge cake.
Top Review by cfletcher
I have been making this dessert for years and just love it....never any leftovers with this one.....you almost have to fight off the scavengers in order to lick the bowl! Very easy to make and has a lovely delicate lemon flavour. Don't miss this one...It's a real winner!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter 8" square pan or baking dish.
- In mixing bowl, combine 3/4 c of the sugar, salt and flour and stir them together.
- Add melted butter, lemon juice and zest and egg yolks.
- Stir until thoroughly blended.
- Stir in milk.
- In separate bowl, beat the egg whites with remaining 1/4 c sugar until stiff, but moist.
- Fold beaten whites into lemon mixture, then pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Set the cake pan into a larger pan and pour hot water into larger pan to come halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes until top is lightly browned.
- Serve warm or chilled, with whipped cream, if desired.