Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This very light dessert has a pleasant, citrus-y tang and, with only 2/3 cup of sugar, isn't too sweet. (1/64 tsp = pinch)
- Cream butter with all but 2 tbsp sugar.
- Beat in egg yolks and lemon peel.
- Stir in flour, just until mixed.
- Add milk and lemon juice.
- Stir well.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in remaining 2 tbsp sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites gently into lemon mixture.
- Spoon batter into buttered 8 inch baking dish.
- Place baking dish in a larger pan of very hot water (to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish).
- Bake in preheated 350F (180C) degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until puffed and browned on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil half way through baking time if cake is browning too quickly.
- To serve, cut into squares and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve warm or cold.
Baked this in individual ramekins and baked for 30 minutes in a water bath. Delicious?
Very good! I chose this recipe because it has more lemon juice than most, without increasing the flour significantly and with less sugar, to boot! I like my lemony things to be LEMONY and this is, without being TOO tart. Hubby likes it, too, so it's a keeper. Thank you!
This was great. My aunt was a wonderful cook and she used to make a dessert like this. I came searching for a recipe to recreate the great memories I had of it and I found it! Delicious!