- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄16 teaspoon salt
- sifted icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter with all but 2 tbsp sugar.
- Beat in egg yolks and lemon peel.
- Stir in flour, just until mixed.
- Add milk and lemon juice.
- Stir well.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in remaining 2 tbsp sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites gently into lemon mixture.
- Spoon batter into buttered 8 inch baking dish.
- Place baking dish in a larger pan of very hot water (to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish).
- Bake in preheated 350F (180C) degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until puffed and browned on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil half way through baking time if cake is browning too quickly.
- To serve, cut into squares and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve warm or cold.