Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Very light and very good for a late evening snack or afternoon tea.
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 lemon, juice of, about a quarter cup
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- Combine sugar, salt and butter.
- Stir in flour, then lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Combine milk and egg yolks; add to lemon mixture. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into lightly oil sprayed 8x8 inch baking pan and set pan in another pan of hot water.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes until top is light brown.
My mother used to make this recipe, and we all loved it and still do. To make it low carb I use Splenda instead of sugar. It's also great served over vanilla ice cream. Thanks for the memories!!
This makes a lovely light sponge like top with a sauce underneath. Another name for this in NZ is "Lemon Delicious Pudding". We had this for dessert as a nice light ending to our dinner. Thanks for a keeper for me :)