Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I first had this at my friend Elaine's house. It's become a big favorite with my family. It's got a great lemon taste.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk or 1 3⁄4 cups non-dairy milk substitute
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat butter with granulated sugar until well blended.
- Beat in egg yolks until blended.
- At low speed, blend in flour.
- Add milk, lemon juice and peel.
- Beat eggs whites until soft peaks form when beater is raised.
- Using a wire whisk or rubber scraper, fold egg whites into lemon mixture.
- Turn mixture into a shallow, 8 1/2 inch baking dish.
- Set dish in pan, pour boiling water into pan to depth of 1 inch.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle top lightly with confectioner's sugar.
- Serve warm or cold, with whipped cream if desired.
Oh my, this was a great dessert! It was very easy to get together, and was done to perfection after 40 minutes in the oven. I used freshly-squeezed lemon juice and lowfat (1%) milk; it might have been richer with fullfat milk but I think using lowfat worked well. I skipped the final sprinkle of icing sugar and served squares of this, still warm, with whipped cream -- yum, yum, yum! Thanks for another permanent addition to my dessert file, Mirj!
This is a really nice light dessert but it could be a bit more lemony. Next time I'll try reducing the sugar a bit and add a bit more zest.
It was okay. I'd make it again if I were in the mood for a light lemon custard because it was really easy, but I would like it to be bit more "lemony". Also, I had to cook it longer than suggested and I think it still wasn't quite done; next time, I'd add 10 minutes to the cook time. My son and husband loved it - my son even licked his bowl!