Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
Really great lemon pound cake. The syrup makes this even more decadent. Lemon lovers, look out!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- fresh nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add the sour cream, egg whites, lemon juice, and lemon rind, and beat until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and nutmeg and beat until smooth.
- Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 40 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Spoon the warm lemon syrup over the cake, allowing it to soak in.
- Lemon Syrup: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Cool slightly before pouring over cake.
This recipe is more of a lemon bread than a lemon pound cake. It is moist with a light lemon flavor (if you use dried lemon peel add a bit of lemon extract because your flavor will suffer using dried peel vs. fresh) but not heavy like a pound cake with all the eggs and butter. I cooked my lemon syrup longer than the recipe required to make a true syrup to brush over the top of the loaf. I could also see making a lemon glaze to put over the top of the loaf rather than the syrup which would make for a nice presentation. Thanks for the recipe!
Great pound cake! I made a mistake and added 1/4 cup of lemon juice to the cake instead of the glaze, but it was very good anyway. Thanks, Carole
This is way too much work for the product you get. I thought the cake was a bit too dense. However, I used bread flour, so maybe this messed it up. I think a glaze would be much better rather than the sauce which only soaked through the very middle of the cake -- I poured it over each piece after I sliced it. I will not make this again -- sorry.