Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
America's Test Kitchen
Make and share this Lemon Pound Cake(ATK) recipe from Food.com.
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened for the pan
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour (6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon cake flour, for the pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar (8 3/4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemons (1 lemon)
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan with 1 tablespoon of the softened butter; dust with 1 tablespoon of the flour, tapping our the excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder and the salt; set aside.
- Melt the remaining 16 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the melted butter thoroughly to reincorporate any separated milk solids.
- In a food processor, pulse the sugar and zest until combined, about 5 pulses. Add the lemon juice, eggs and vanilla; process until combined, about 5 seconds. With the machine running, add the melted butter through the feed tube in a steady stream [this should take about 20 seconds]. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Sift the flour mixture over the egg mixture in three additions, whisking gently after each addition until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees and continue to bake until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack. Pike the top and sides of the cake throughout with a toothpick. Cool to room temperature, at least 1 hour. [The cooled cake can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for 5 days.].
- For the glaze: While the cake is cooling, bring the sugar and lemon juice to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Brush the top and sides of the cake with the glaze and cool to room temperature.
Fantastic flavor. Perfect crumb. Two thumbs up.
Tasted pretty good. But I used lemon extract instead of vanilla. And even though I increased the baking powder to 1 tablespoon, since 1 teaspoon didn't quite seem like enough, it didn't rise very much; so it was kind of dense.