Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
It is important (as with most cakes) to refrigerate overnight before serving. (A recipe I was honored to adopt; first posted by Mean Chef.)
- 12 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 1⁄3 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- powdered sugar
- lemon juice
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Sift flour and baking powder together.
- Mix buttermilk and lemon juice together.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and wet ingredients to butter/sugar mixture.
- Add lemon zest and mix until just smooth.
- Spray and flour 2 small bundt pans.
- Bake at 350.
- cool, dismount, wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- Ice with glaze before serving.
- Note baking time will vary depending on size of pans.
- Cake is done when a tester comes out clean.
Pound cakes have always been a point of difficulty for me, but this recipe was a winner. I waited until all my ingredients were room temp and then followed the instructions carefully. I used two loaf pans and baked until a wooden skewer came out without crumbs, but not completely dry. (I started checking at about 45 minutes.) The lemon flavor is present but not overbearing, and the cake is moist and buttery. We all liked the very simple glaze. The hardest part...keeping everybody's mitts off this until it gets to overnight in the refrigerator. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.
This is great. I thought it would be helpful to say I baked it in one large bundt pan for 65 to 70 mins at 350. Super!
Yum!!! Made this cake, just because it sounded delicious. And I was right. This turned out to be a great tasting, moist, pound cake. The lemon is not overwhelming, just enought to know its in there. I glazed one, the second one I cut in cubes and froze. But, I had to rescue it from the freezer within a day. Company came, I made a bitter sweet chocolate fondue and we dipped the cubes in the fondue. Needless to say, there were no leftovers of either version. I will make this again and soon.