This is a rich custard that is lightened by the fresh taste of lemon. From Fields of Greens. They are best served warm from the oven but can be served at room temp. They can also be refrigerated, if necessary, but give them plenty of time to return to room temperature before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a mixing bowl, vigorously whisk the eggs, yolks, and sugar together.
- When the mixture is thoroughly blended, whisk in the lemon juice, then the cream.
- Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Add the lemon zest.
- Pour the mixture into 8 6-oz. custard cups or ramekins.
- Place them in a baking pan and add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the cups.
- Cover the pan loosely with foil and bake until the custard is just set, 40 to 45 minutes. The custard should still be soft in the center when lightly shaken. (It will continue to set as it cools.).
- Remove from the baking pan and cool.