Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you've got a lemon-lover to cook for, this is perfect. No baking required. Cooling time is cook time.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice, strained
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon, zest of (no white rind)
- 1 pinch salt
- whipped cream
- pistachio nut, finely chopped
- Place butter, sugar, lemon juice and 3 egg yolks in a double boiler; stir constantly with a stainless steel whisk or wooden spatula over medium heat until pudding turns very thick (if you drop some of the mixture onto the rest of the pudding in the pan it will form an unmoving ribbon on the surface); DON'T let mixture boil.
- Pour pudding into a bowl; stir in lemon zest and let it cool by placing the bottom of the bowl in cool water.
- Beat the egg white with a pinch of salt until stiff and glossy; gently fold into pudding and fill 4 pot de creme pots; place plastic wrap on surface of pudding in each cup and refrigerate until chilled.
- For an optional garnish, pipe a small rosette of whipped cream in the center of each pot and encircle the rosette with chopped pistachio nuts.