Prep 2 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is an elegant, impressive and CHEAP recipe - just four ingredients and it takes just a few minutes to put together! This can also be used in place of lemon curd for a tart in a parbaked shortbread crust.... Fabulous served with berries or little crisp almond cookies; it's an easy way to finish a meal for company. Cooking time includes chilling time.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, freshly grated
- In a small saucepan, heat cream and sugar to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Continue boiling for 5 minutes. Watch carefully that the cream doesn't boil over.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon juice and zest. Let cool, about 15 minutes.
- Pour even amounts into four ramekins. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, or until set.
- Serve with whipped cream and berries, or crisp shortbread or almond cookies.
This reminded me a lot of lemon yogurt; creamy, light and lemony. It smells a bit like mayonnaise, but don't let that put you off. And it truly is amazing to watch it start to set up as soon as you stir the lemon juice into the cream mixture. A wonder! Thank you for sharing this intriguing recipe.