Recipe by s. anne
Bursting with the flavor or lemon and the crunch of sunflower and sesame seeds, this dense, moist loaf has the added goodness of flaxseeds. (From Vegetarian Times, March 2001). Should be about 278 cal per slice.
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower oil
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup plain soymilk
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of (1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin (optional)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (for coating top)
Directions See How It's Made
- In blender, grind flaxseeds to find powder. Add 1/3 cup water and blend until frothy. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In large bowl, combine oil, tahini, and sugar. Beat with mixer on medium until blended. Beat in reserved flax mixture. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to wet mixture, beating at low speed until smooth. Beat in soy milk, lemon juice and peel. Fold in sunflower seeds and raisins until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds evenly over top. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minute and cool completely before slicing.