Recipe by cynthiawong
A lowfat cake made with yogurt
Top Review by andrea in South of France
This cake was great! One of the best lemon poppyseed cakes I have ever had! I added the juice of one lemon to the wet ingredients, and at the end i sprinkled the cake with icing sugar to make it just a bit sweeter.... Terrific! Thanks very much!
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350° F, line the bottom of a round 25-cm (10-inch) cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- In a large mixing-bowl, gently combine the yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest, and poppy seed.
- Add the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture, and blend together -- don't overwork the dough.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let stand for ten minutes, and transfer onto a rack to cool.