Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Canadian Living Test Kitchen, another wonderful recipe - make this one in mini bundt pans for a decadent presentation, or use a regular bundt pan, or a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice (approx)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In large bowl and using fingers, rub sugar with lemon rind until fragrant. Beat in butter until light. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Beat in lemon juice.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, salt and baking soda; stir into butter mixture alternately with sour cream, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of sour cream. Scrape into 8 greased and floured 1-cup (250 mL) mini Bundt pans or 5- x 3-inch (625 mL) mini loaf pans, or one 9- x 5-inch (2 L) loaf pan.
- Bake in 325°F (160°C) oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 30 minutes for Bundt pans, 1 hour for large loaf. Transfer pans to rack.
- Icing: In small bowl, stir icing sugar with lemon juice until smooth. Divide in half.
- Glaze: Stir lemon juice into one half of icing; brush over hot cakes. Remove from pans; let cool on rack. Drizzle with remaining icing, adding a little more lemon juice to loosen if necessary.
This was welcomed for dessert tonight. It was much enjoyed still a bit warm from the oven. I used Splenda for the sugar and fat free sour cream. The lemon was mild to my taste while DH thought it was on the tart side (I don't think that most folks would). The texture was lovely and the poppy seed crunch is always fun. It made 4 mini angel food shaped cakes and each of them is a two serving size for us.