Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These bars are buttery rich and not too sweet, with a light lemon flavor. The fresh lemon juice is optional add it in for a stronger lemon flavor. These will be soft when removed from the oven and then harden up. Measure the butter, flour and vanilla exactly for a perfect texture bar.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no subs!)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar (addition for sprinkling on bars)
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (I just used the zest from 1 whole lemon)
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Set oven to 300°F (set oven rack to middle position).
- Butter an 8x8-inch glass baking dish.
- In a bowl using an electric mixer cream the butter with 1/2 cup confectioners sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Add in zest, lemon juice (if using) and poppy seeds; mix until combined.
- In a small bowl mix together flour and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix just until combined.
- Press the mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until pale golden brown.
- Let the shortbread cool in the pan on a rack for about 10 minutes.
- Cut into 24 bars and let the bars cool completely in the pan.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.