Prep 4 hrs
Cook 25 mins
For all the lemon lovers :-) Prep time includes lots of chilling time.
Make and share this Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread recipe from Food.com.
- Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl beat butter and sugar until creamy and smooth; then add lemon juice and zest, and vanilla, and beat well.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, poppy seeds and salt; add these dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for at least 3 hours (you can also freeze dough for up to 2 months).
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees.
- Roll dough between two sheets of wax paper to a 1/4-inch thick rectangle about 10 by 12 inches.
- Cut shortbread dough into 3x2-inch bars (make them 3x1 if you wish) using a knife or sharp edge.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet (s) one inch apart.
- Prick the shortbread with a fork and bake until pale golden, approx 25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Very elegant and subtle flavored shortbread. Loved the combination of poppy seeds and lemon. As I love strong flavors, I might add little more lemon, next time. But just a little. Will be regular staple at coffee time.