Prep 3 hrs
Cook 25 mins
This delicious shortbread is like a poppy seed pound cake made delicate, flat and crisp. Plan ahead as the dough needs to chill for 3 hours. Delicious served with a raspberry sorbet.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poppy seeds (make sure they are fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cream together the butter and the sugar with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth. Add the lemon juice, zest and vanilla, beating well.
- Combine the flour, seeds and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix until well combined. Shape into a disc and wrap in plastic cling film. Chill for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 300*F. Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment or wax paper to a 1/4 inch thickness. cut into shapes with a 2 inch cookie cutter and place on ungreased cookie sheets, 1 inch apart. Prick all over with a fork, then bake until pale golden allover, 23 to 25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- If desired you can glaze the cooled cookies with a simple sugar glaze.