Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
My interpretation of a classic lemon bread recipe! Very Moist with lots of lemon flavor and great texture from the poppyseeds and nuts.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted and salted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- Grease the bottom and sides of a standard loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, sugar and baking powder. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, oil and lemon juice and zest. Add this mixture all at once to the flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Fold in the nuts and poppy seeds. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- If desired, stir together the extra 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of sugar. While the bread is still in the pan, brush the mixture over the top of the loaf.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.