From the Thistle Dew Inn in Sonoma California. Time is an estimate and the batter can be made the night before and stored in the fridge.
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄4 cup baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- For the Pancakes: Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, sour cream, milk and water; beat just until blended, but still lumpy.
- Add lemon zest, lemon oil, poppy seeds and vanilla powder or extract; mix thoroughly.
- Let batter stand for 30 minutes (or cover and refrigerate overnight). Add more milk or water, if needed.
- Spoon batter onto a hot, buttered griddle or skillet and cook pancakes until browned on both sides. Serve with honey butter.
- For the honey butter: Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Slowly add honey, stirring constantly, until smooth and opaque. Remove from heat and cool slightly.