Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tasty noodles, My DH loves noodles. The recipe comes from Gourmet.
- 6 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives
- Cook noodles as directed on package.
- While noodles are cooking, lightly toast poppy seeds in a dry small skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until just fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water and drain noodles in a colander.
- Add butter and zest to warm pot and swirl until melted.
- Add noodles and toss, adding enough of reserved cooking water to keep noodles moist, then stir in poppy seeds, chives, salt and pepper to taste.
These are tasty! The combination of flavors is refreshing. I served his along side a sauteed chicken greast and was in heaven. The fresh lemon peel adds great flavor, although I think I might try a little dash of garlic next time to see what that adds. All in all a delightful side dish: colorful and flavorful. Thanks Barb!
This recipe combines 3 of my favorite things - lemon, poppy seeds, and egg noodles! I adore anything lemon poppy seed so I knew this was a recipe for me. They have a very light and delicate flavor, and I prefer a stronger lemony taste - so I increased the grated lemon zest to a whole teaspoon and added some lemon juice as well. I also increased the chives for a bolder flavor. This makes a very pretty dish and pairs so well with chicken and fish. I will make this often, thanks so much for posting!
the flavor was real nice and suttle. I thought they were a little dry but I added a little more water and were great