Recipe by Sue Lau
A nice, lemony version of a classic muffin that has a great texture. Try these with some artisinal butter and lemon curd.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
We always enjoy the combo of lemon & poppy seed, & these tasty muffins are no exception ~ ABSOLUTELY GREAT, especially with the inclusion of the whole wheat flour & wheat germ! Served them with a choice of lemon curd or a homemade cranberry butter I'd made! You've got a real winner with these muffins, & I'll be making them again before long! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a PRESSIE in the Aus/NZ 12 Days of Christmas Recipe Swap]
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 1 -2 lemon, zest of
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (approx 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- Mix together the flours, wheat germ, poppy seeds, salt, baking soda, baking powder, sugar blend, and zest in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, buttermilk, lemon juice and extract.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in the liquid ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes and serve warm.