Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from Simply Recipes
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sugar and zest - rub the two together with your fingers until the lemon zest is evenly distributed and the sugar takes on a light yellow hue. Add butter and cream mixture together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each.
- Add the flour mixture and yogurt alternately to the butter mixture, starting and ending with the flour, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined - do not over-mix.
- Evenly divide the mixture between 14 wells of a couple muffin pans lightly coated with nonstick spray - fill the empty wells with water to prevent them from scorching. Bake until a toothpick placed in the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and place pan on wire rack to cool. After 5 minutes, carefully remove muffins from pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice - if the glaze is too thick to drizzle, add a little more juice. While the muffins are still a bit warm, use a pastry brush to brush the glaze over each muffin - you probably won't use all of the glaze, so when they have cooled, you can brush the rest over for a more iced effect.