Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
This is a great recipe I came up with. Very tender with a great oven rise. Recipezaar won't recognize lemon oil in the recipe. Use this instead of lemon extract.
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 5 drops lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Combine first 4 ingredients in large bowl.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each one.
- In small bowl, combine buttermilk, water, and lemon juice.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt and poppy seeds.
- Alternately add dry and wet ingredients to butter mixture starting and ending with dry ones.
- Spoon batter into 21 muffin cups. Fill extra cups 1/2 full of water.
- Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 6 minute.
- Decrease oven temp to 325by opening oven door and bake for an additional10-12 minute.
- Remove from oven when done and cool on a wire rack.