Recipe by oliveoyl1981
I'm vegetarian and I try to eat healthy. I love this recipe because the muffins turn out moist and delicious even though little sugar is used and wheat flour is used instead of all-purpose white.
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄3 cups wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 lemons, zest of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup lemon yogurt (or one 6-oz container)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tin.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, applesauce, brown sugar, & Splenda.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time while beating.
- In another bowl, stir together the dry ingredients along with the poppyseeds & lemon zest.
- With mixer on low, bit by bit, add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, & vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat the egg-whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped egg-whites into the batter until blended.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan, filling each one 3/4 of the way up. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Allow 5 - 10 minutes to cool.