Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Light, high domed, fluffy and just the right amout of sweetness
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar, less 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add lemon zest to butter-sugar mixture. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in one-half of dry ingredients. Beat in one-third of yogurt. Beat in remaining dry ingredients in two batches, alternating with yogurt, until incorporated.
- Spray twelve-cup muffin tin with vegetable cooking spray or coat lightly with butter. Use large ice cream scoop to divide batter evenly among cups. Bake until muffins are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Set on wire rack to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove muffins from tin and glaze.
- For Glaze: While muffins are baking, heat 1/4 cup granulated sugar and lemon juice in small saucepan until sugar dissolves and mixture forms light syrup, 3 to 4 minutes. Brush warm syrup over warm muffins and serve.
I followed the recipe exactly but I didn't really care for these muffins. I found them very dense and not sweet at all or moist. These muffins were very thick when I put them in the muffin tins and they didn't rise any higher than what it was that I had put in the tins. Personally I think they had too many poppy seeds. I had made 12 muffins and they took 25 minutes in the oven, and then I put the lemon glaze over them. But Thanks for sharing the recipe Chef #331672