Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are a wonderful low fat, low cholesterol recipe that can also be baked in a 9" x 5" loaf pan for 45 to 50 minutes.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix well.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil with the sugar, eggs, buttermilk, poppy seeds and lemon zest.
- Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl and combine just until moistened.
- Spoon the batter into 12 large non-stick, lightly oiled or paper-lined muffin cups.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring lemon juice and sugar to a boil; cool for a few minutes.
- When the muffins come out of the oven, prick in a few places with a toothpick.
- Spoon the syrup over the top and allow to soak into the muffins.
- Cool and remove the muffins from the pan.
the muffins were moist and had a good texture but they weren't sweet enough, they actually didn't have a very good flavor at all, I had to put butter on them to make them taste better. If I were to make this recipe again I think I would use more sugar and some vanilla extract.
These are wonderful. Very moist. Great flavor. So easy to make. I will be making these again. Thanks for posting this great recipe.