Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Little Gems of yummy-ness. Next time I make these, I will probably add some additional lemon and sugar, as I like a strong lemon flavor.
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar, for topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix Flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds, set aside.
- In a seperate bowl, mix egg, milk, cooking oil, after mixing add lemon juice.
- Mix liquids into the dry ingredients.
- put into muffin tins, either well greased and floured or with muffin papers.
- sprinkle tops of muffins generously with sugar (do not mix it, this will form the crunchy top).
- bake 10 - 15 minutes until golden brown.
This a good recipe but it does need more lemon flavor! I used 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and the zest of 1 lemon but would suggest adding the zest of 2 lemons and using fresh squeezed lemon juice which seems to be more potent. The muffins were a good consistency and the sugar on top was just right.
I found this recipe while I was trying to figure out what to do with 3 lbs of frozen mixed berries (blackberries, blueberries,and raspberries) that I had accidentally thawed. I left out the poppyseeds, added a tiny bit more lemon, and spooned the muffin tins half full with batter. I added a layer of fruit, then a layer of batter on top. Sprinkled with sugar and baked. They took longer than the suggested baking time in the recipe but the results were excellent! I also like the fact that this recipe is lower in fat than many other muffin recipes.
I thought this was a good recipe... I did add extra lemon juice & zest. I also went light on the sugar on top. Will make again!