Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 mins
These little lemon cookies are melt-in-your-mouth delicious! Give them a try and you won't be disappointed. This dough needs to chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before slicing and baking.
- In mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium high for 30 seconds. Add the sugar, poppy seeds and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl as necessary. Beat in the egg yolk, milk, lemon peel, and vanilla until combined. Slowly add the flour and mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half of dough into a 9-inch-long log. Wrap each log in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours.
- Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 1/2 inch thick slices. Places slices 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms of cookies are lightly browned. The top of the cookie will not be browned.
- Place powdered sugar in a plastic bag. If desired, add edible glitter to powdered sugar. While cookies are still warm, transfer several at a time to the bag of powdered sugar. Gently shake and coat the cookies with powdered sugar. Transfer to a wire rack. When completely cool, gently shake cookies again the powdered sugar.