Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This buttery loaf has a crunchy lemon taste - thanks to the poppy seeds and grated lemon rind that are stirred into the batter just before you bake it. After baking, pierce with the top with a topthpick, then brush with sweet lemon glaze - Delicious!!
- 2 cups cake-and-pastry flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F Lightly grease 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in mixer bowl; blend well.,.
- Beat milk, eggs, and vanilla together in small bowl. Add half of egg mixture together with butter to dry ingredients and beat at medium speed for 1 minute, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Pour in remaining egg mixture and beat 1 minute.
- Stir in the poppy seeds and lemon rind. Spoon batter into pan. (the pan will be more than 3/4 full).
- Bake at 325F for 65-75 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Prepare lemon glaze while cake is baking.
- GLAZE: Heat sugar and lemon juice in small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Pierce top of cake with fork or toothpick immediately after baking.
- Brush glaze over hot cake while still in the pan.
- Cool in rack for 15 minutes, then remove form pan, Cool completely.