Chef mariajane's Note:
This buttery loaf has a crunchy lemon taste - thanks to the poppy seeds and grated lemon rind that are stirred into the batter just before you bake it. After baking, pierce with the top with a topthpick, then brush with sweet lemon glaze - Delicious!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cake-and-pastry flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F Lightly grease 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- 2Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in mixer bowl; blend well.,.
- 3Beat milk, eggs, and vanilla together in small bowl. Add half of egg mixture together with butter to dry ingredients and beat at medium speed for 1 minute, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Pour in remaining egg mixture and beat 1 minute.
- 4Stir in the poppy seeds and lemon rind. Spoon batter into pan. (the pan will be more than 3/4 full).
- 5Bake at 325F for 65-75 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Prepare lemon glaze while cake is baking.
- 6GLAZE: Heat sugar and lemon juice in small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- 7Pierce top of cake with fork or toothpick immediately after baking.
- 8Brush glaze over hot cake while still in the pan.
- 9Cool in rack for 15 minutes, then remove form pan, Cool completely.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (1200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4337.5
- Calories from Fat 2003
- Total Fat 222.5 g
- Saturated Fat 126.2 g
- Cholesterol 1240.5 mg
- Sodium 3480.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 536.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 305.5 g
- Protein 58.2 g